My love, my wife!

Friday, May 30, 2008

Mwanza, here we come: Medical Mission 2008

It seems as though things get busier and, sometimes, more frustrating as the days go by. However, there are so many ways that God blesses us each day that the frustrations seem very unimportant, even though the computer, electricity, water and other little things do put a damper on things at times. We still do not have our resident permit so we have to have a driver if we go in the vehicle. Please pray; they now say that they need certified copies of my university diplomas; that will probably take even more time and we leave on the medical mission next week and will have to leave the country after we get back if we do not have the resident permit. Maybe God has somewhere that he wants us to go, outside Tanzania. Travel outside the country is very expensive because of air fare and diesel is now over $7.00 per gallon.

The good news is, God is in control. We were blessed to be able to teach at the Here's Life Conference, for supervisors from Tanzania, Uganda and Malawi, a few weeks ago, a three day conference. There were many prayers for America, and Americans, during the conference. I have also had the opportunity to teach almost every Sunday since we have been here and will be back at St. Paul’s this Sunday. Pat has taught the children at two different churches and they love learning new songs, in English. We were also blessed, just yesterday, to be present when a new Bible study group was started; using the “proclaimer”, an audio Bible listening device that is in Swahili (and many other languages). This is wonderful in cultures where listening is more important than reading. We have been very busy for the last several days doing all-day shopping for the medical mission (June 8-20) in Mwanza (next to Lake Victoria). We will probably leave on Friday, June 6 for the 12-13 hour drive. There will be two American kitchens, at two different sites, and two African kitchens (about 150 total people working at the med. Mission). We will take a break on June 12-13 and then move to two more sites. It is always such a blessing to see people come to Christ and everyone is pumped up, Americans and Africans. We have also been able to spend some time with some of the film team leaders who have helped us do the shopping.

Pat is doing a good job of learning new Swahili and Maasai words. She will soon be able to interpret for me; she has such a good ear for music and sounds! She is my biggest blessing from God. Please keep her in your prayers, she has good days and bad days with her shoulder and neck and when it is bad she can’t play her guitar, which she would do every spare moment if she could. She loves to get alone with the Lord and praise Him and play for Him; I love to just listen to her.

We have been getting e-mails from all over the place and they bless us so very much. The prayer group that meets on a regular basis to pray for us is also a gift from God. In spite of the hardships, which are sometimes difficult to explain, and in spite of the longings for home and family, we know that we are here because God wants us here. HE is so Good. Bwana Asifiwe!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Everything sounds exciting! We have a group returning to Uganda in a few weeks, and I know they are very excited as well...

Unknown said...

Good Morning,

I just wanted to tell you that I am touched by your organization and will keep HLMA in prayer. I also wanted to share with you how I found your website. I was reading my Bible yesterday at work and after reading Acts 1:8 a phrase passed through my mind. I am not blessed with the gifts of tongues and to be perfectly honest I am a bit of a skeptic of those who proclaim to speak in tongues. However, the phrase that went through my mind was Balaa es Shalaam. Well, I Googled this phrase jsut to see if it had any meaning at all. What I found is that Balaa is Swahili for trouble and that Dar es Salaam is one of the largest cities in Tanzania. I knew none of this before yesterday. So, I Googled Tanzanian Mission Field and found this blog - http://tefertiller.blogspot.com/. P&J's Tanzanian Mission which linked me to you as their sponsor. I do not know if God is calling me to become a full time partner with your organization but I do know that I have a heart for mission work and after reading through your website I have to say Amen! I will partner with you all through prayer and as God leads through offerings when I can.

God bless you and keep your Teams safe as you go out on the "Great Commission."

Warmest Regards,
Malatha R. Hill